EMS Care Chapter 26 | Psychiatric and Behavioral Emergencies
We begin this chapter on Care for Psychiatric and Behavioral Emergencies with an introduction to the subject. We subsequently explore in-depth:
- Lesson 1: Definitions
- Lesson 2: Epidemiology
- Lesson 3: Assessment
- Lesson 4: Behavioral Change Factors
- Lesson 5: Ethical and Legal Considerations
- Lesson 6: Altered Mental Status
- Lesson 7: Delirium
- Lesson 8: Suicides
- Lesson 9: Chapter Review
The Core Concepts and takeaways from this chapter include:
- Ability to describe the components of a mental status examination
- Perform effective patient restraint techniques (verbal and physical)
- State the risk factors for suicide
- Analyze the effects of opioids and excited delirium
- Identify common synthetic stimulants and natural or synthetic THC and recognize the effects
- If you only want to take the online course for CME credit, you can pay here. The fee for online-only does NOT include a skills session nor (re)certification. You will receive a certificate for CME credit after successful completion of the course.
- This course is part of the EMT Recertification Day 2 curriculum and the New Initial EMT Course. If you sign up for one of those courses, you will be automatically enrolled in this course. Click here for scheduled courses.
- To get credit for this course, you must watch all 8 lessons in their entirety, the course review, and pass the quiz at the end with a score of 75% or better.